Virtual Manufacturing Sweden AB
Virtual Manufacturing (VM) is a supplier of lean-based production and logistics development services.
VM are willing to take on the challenge of combining technology, methods and hard work around production and processes development in order to achieve results. This is carried out both in the virtual and physical world, before and after the start of production. In projects, on a daily basis, we fulfill our own and our clients’ dreams. We know how to create value together with our clients. Virtual Manufacturing shall be the natural, most innovative partner in modern production development. Competence, quality and long-term sustainable commitment are our guiding principles. By using new approaches and perspectives we help leading companies in the manufacturing industry achieve ”operational excellence” faster. Welcome to join us in creating value in production ”The Virtual Way”.
VM has an organization of approximately 50 employees and a network of partners in many countries, in total VM has approximately 300 collaboration and customer companies.
For a complete picture, visit https://www.virtual.se
Vision and Goal – Virtual digital twin and digitalization of tools and methods for transforming to Industry 4.0
The Vision and Goal for Virtual Manufacturing (VM) are to create a digital twin platform called Virtual Twin (VT). The base of the platform will be a digital twin of a factory or office. The VT platform will be used for improvement projects, maintenance, machine relocations, Value Stream Mapping, tracking system, inventory control, monitoring and management of factories. Furthermore, the VT platform is expected to generate benefit for sales, site improvements, factories overview, product development, process development, management monitoring etc. The VT will be connected to all kinds of systems and be the holder of information. The goal is also to do the daily work easier by create methods and tolls for digitalization in the transformation to Industry 4.0.
Field of subject for the position: Computer Science or Mechanical/Industrial Engineering (with software knowledge), or equivalent.
Placement: Virtual Manufacturing Sweden AB in Gothenburg in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science and Media Technology, at Linnaeus University in Växjö.
As a doctoral student at VM you will dedicate 20 % of your time to research and study courses.
The remaining time will include for example:
- Explore whether the creation of a Virtual digital twin would make it possible to create new ways of verifying and thereby make it even easier to implement.
- Develop a VT that is easy to use and the best digital twin of a factory/office at the market
- Defining and develop new tools and methods for transformation to Industry 4.0.
- Collaborating closely with the other project members in an interdisciplinary research environment as well as with domain experts.
- Be involved in the daily work at VM
- Write articles together with other PhD students and academic faculties.
- Working together with VM customers and even help them with digitalization, transform to Industry 4.0, that could even be to training them in tools and methods that will be developed.
- Conducting graduate studies in the field of Computer Science with a doctorate (PhD) as the goal. When the mapping out is finished, we will jointly pick out a target area for your doctoral dissertation.
Duties consist mainly of the following:
Graduate studies in the field of Computer Science, with a doctoral degree as the goal. The PhD thesis should be completed and defended within the official appointment duration of five years (20% research education, 60% work related to the research area, 20% other work for Virtual Manufacturing).
- Research in the field Big Data, Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Visualization, Sensors and Content Management.
- Regularly present intermediate research results at international conferences, workshops and publish them in conference proceedings and journals.
General entry requirements
- has been awarded a second-cycle qualification
- has satisfied the requirements for courses comprising at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits were awarded in the second-cycle, or has acquired substantially equivalent knowledge in some other way in Sweden or abroad.
Specific entry requirements
- approved courses of a minimum of 90 credits in the subject Computer and Information Science or the equivalent
- an individual study project of a minimum of 15 credits in the subject Computer and Information Science, or the equivalent.
Good programming skills (in for example Java, C#, or Python), and a solid training in mathematics and theoretical computer science. Documented expertise and working experience within at least two of the following research and educational areas is a great advantage:
- Big data analytics
- Data visualization
- Machine learning
- Sensor Data
- Content Management
- Parallel processing
Because of the interdisciplinary character of the project and LNUC DISA (https://lnu.se/en/disa), the candidate should be an enthusiastic person who is interested in making sense of large and complex data sets of various types as well as capable of working both independently and within a group. Teamwork experiences should be documented in the application.
High proficiency in written and spoken English is required. Much of the research will be conducted in collaboration with industry, so some proficiency in Swedish (understanding written text) is highly desired.
Applicants will be selected through a qualitative overall assessment of the competences and skills, assessed most suitable to conduct research and to contribute to a successful development of the research environment.
Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications
The rapid development of sensors, computing, communication, and storage technologies provides us with access to previously unknown amounts of data—Big Data. It has revolutionized research communities and their scientific methodologies and innovated the approaches to knowledge and theory building, validation, and exploitation in the Sciences and the Humanities. With the foundation of a Linnaeus University Center on “Data Intensive Sciences and Applications” (DISA, https://lnu.se/disa) in Jan 2017, Big Data has officially become a research profile at Linnaeus University. xxx is working in close collaboration DISA and are a part of the industry graduate school for Data Intensive Applications (www.lnu.se/en/dia).
More about The industry graduate school Data Intensive Applications (DIA): https://lnu.se/en/dia
For more information, please contact
Apply for PhD student with a focus on “Virtual digital twin and digitalization of tolls and methods for transforming to Industry 4.0.” online https://www.virtual.se/jobs/ or email
Application should be submitted online no later than 2021–04-01. The application must include a cover letter (with a motivation why the candidate wants to pursue this PhD project), a resume and the contact information of two referees. In addition, a link to the candidate’s Master’s thesis and secondary and university diploma should be provided.
Virtual Manufacturing AB bildades i december 2006 av ett antal grundare med en gedigen erfarenhet och historik inom modern produktionsutveckling. Samtliga grundare är fortfarande aktiva i bolaget.
Bolagets ägarstruktur består av, förutom grundarna, ett antal nyckelpersoner i bolaget samt ett antal ägarbolag. Ägarbolagen representerar kompletterande tjänster och produkter inom modern produkt- och produktionsutveckling.
Vi finns idag med kontor i Göteborg, Linköping och Bangkok.
Virtual Manufacturing ska vara den naturliga, mest innovativa partnern inom modern produktion- och logistikutveckling. Kompetens, kvalitet och långsiktiga hållbara åtaganden är våra ledstjärnor. Med hjälp av nya angreppssätt och synsätt ska vi hjälpa ledande företag inom tillverkningsindustrin uppnå världsklass snabbare.
Innovation – Vår drivkraft är långsiktig förbättring och nytänkande.
Kunder – Vi skapar nöjda kunder genom att visa riktiga vinster och bygga kunskap.
Förändring – Vi skapar möjligheterna till en naturlig förändringsprocess.
Medarbetare – Vi tar ansvar för våra medarbetares utveckling, kompetens och kreativa potential.
The Virtual Way – Vår grund ligger i globalt tänkande med lokal handlingskraft – vi skall vara ett föredöme för att skapa resultat med små resurser.